Thursday, October 3, 2013

LIT ANALYSIS #2 "Night" by Elie Wiesel

TOPICS AND EVENTS: This story takes you back to during World war 2 and how life was for the jewish community during Hitler's rein as a dictator. The narrator Elie portrays how his life was before World War 2. HE talks about the moment when he was with his two instructors Moshe and Beadle and they found out the terrible news nazi aggressors were coming to take over.He describes nostalgic moments of his child hood and how happy he was during and when his parents were successful his family used to be. His family was very poise and calm about the situation but things soon changed onced many jews were shipped in train loads to concentration camps. From there hima nd his father are stationed at a concentration camp forced to work til they die. In this journey to survive Elie whitnesses countless horrors and unpleasing realities of the camps from people being burned alive to human being being starved to their bones! This is one of your typical miracle stories in the World War 2, Elie loses his dad in the end of all this mess when trying to run 42 miles of snow to survive and stay alive.
  The author chose to write this for many reasons, one to let people know some of the grosom horrors the blood thirsty nazis had for the jews. I believe he wrote this story to get unwanted feelings and emotions out of his mind. he went through so much it was only a matter a time til he broke down. If I myself were to ever go through a situation like he did I dont think I would be the same person. With all those images of death and corpse in my head  I would rather write it down on paper to hpefully clear my mind. He is trying to get a message out so hopefully this never happens again for future generations.
 Well my friend reccommended this book to me and told me it was really good so I gave it a shot. Im glad I did read it because it really changed the ways i see things in life. Im more grateful for my health and what I have and realized I dont deserve a lot of what I have now.
 this question made me laugh but yes this book was very realistic. Well at some parts  I just couldnt believe how far mans hatred could be towards a race of human. How evil and low we can stoop down low to. The level of torture and death in this book was at times to much to handle. I just couldnt believe the things nazis would do to jews.
PEOPLE:
Almost every interpretation in this story was based on observations. The author wrote a lot on what he saw and what he felt. I could say the author is a sick minded individual but in the end i realzied he didnt chose to see or live with any of these hard ships. He was forced out of his home to go to concentration camos and work to the death. in the story he says "To forget the dead would be akin to killing them a second time." It really opened my eyes when I read this short but powerful quote.
Elie's father was the main reson why he survived the whole ordeal in the first place. Shlomo is the only character throughout the story that the reader can get a good amount of information with. Even though we cant read his thoughts its easy to see he loves his son very much and would give up his life for him. We find this information about Shlomo through indirect characterization.
The author wrote about his own father because of the aid and encouragement his father gave him to stay alive during this dilema.I belive the author put his father in the story to convey the lack of faith and hope as you go through more and more days in the concentration camps. But it just shows how a man can still find love in his heart.
"I shall always remember that smile. From what world did it come from?" This is a another perfect example of indirect characterization. It shows the battle between Elies's faith. He constanly questions where god is through out the story because he just cant believe the horrors god has put him through. I believe the message in this we all have our own battles but it depends on how strong willed we are to over come them.
STYLE:
The author did a little bit of both. He foreshadowed the outcomes of how he and other would soon die. They were fairly obvious to say the least. The authors vocab was educated. This man loves god but struggles to believe in one. You can tell he is very straight forward yet talks with passion and love. He describes scense very well. When he talked about how he was forced to watch a young boy die sloowly right in front of his eyes really shows his skills in describing. He would describe somethings so well that I would have to stop reading cause the descriptions were so graphic, i couldnt handle it.THe authro uses strong words and portays images to set a mood. He made my mood change a lot , it would get me mad but knowing im getting mad over a book shows im engaged in it. The book at times made me feel so sad and sorry for these people and hate the spoileed people like myself in society today. But we have to accept times are very different now.Author didnt really offer any articles except for what he read during his time in the ghetto camps/
ENDURING MEMORY:
THis book really made me question the value of life. The story takes the value of life to a whole nother level!Why do you pray?" he asked me, after a moment. "Why did I pray? A strange question. Why did I live? Why did I breathe?" THis quote really tested my faith and made me question the same thing he did. Why do we do the things we do>? Who are we praying too? A god? and why would god let these tings happen to us.

1 comment:

  1. First of all before you write your "paragraph" maybe learn how to mla cite your quotes!

    ReplyDelete